Recipe type: Cook with your Kids, Dessert
Ambrosia is the melody of sliced juicy-sweet oranges and grated coconut. Hidden in this classic coconut macaroons recipe is finely grated orange peel, with the finishing touch of bittersweet chocolate drizzled over the cookies.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 3 large eggs
- 24 ounces sweetened flaked coconut (about 6 cups firmly packed)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Line 3 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar and salt; beat until blended. Beat in orange peel, then eggs, 1 at a time. Mix in coconut. Drop batter onto sheets by tablespoonfuls, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake macaroons, 1 sheet at a time, until golden on bottom and browned in spots, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on sheets.
- Using fork, drizzle chocolate over macaroons. Chill on sheets until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes.