Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
Get the Recipe: Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 nutmeg clove, smashed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F with oven rack in middle position.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish.
- Layer potatoes in the dish, seasoning each layer with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Bring heavy cream, milk, and garlic to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Fish out garlic and discard.
- Pour hot milk over potatoes and place on a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, about 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven and grate nutmeg over top just before serving.